Medicare has developed a helpful list of questions to help consumers who are trying to decide between different hospices.
Some of the key questions to ask include:-
- What services and treatments will be covered by my insurance?
- What happens if I need more care or need 24-hour nursing care?
- How long will it take to get help when I call and who will respond after hours?
- Will I have the same hospice nurse visiting and how often will that be?
- What practical help will be provided and who will help?
- What options are there if my family needs a break from providing my care?
- How long has your hospice been in business and how much experience does your staff have?
Hospice Compare is a website provided by Medicare that allows you to compare up to three hospices serving your zip code. This link will take you to the checklist.